ATHENS AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Did you know that the Athens Area Historical Society is entirely run by volunteers? Over 100 people volunteer for all facets of the Society operations particularly on events such as the Tombstone Tour. The volunteer involvement reflects very well on the commitment of our members and the unique support from many volunteers. Volunteers involvement is usually limited in duration in accomplishing the task for which they have volunteered. It is NOT a requirement that volunteers be members of the Society. The society maintains a list of volunteers. Following are some examples of volunteer opportunities for which we need help.
1. Exhibits- The Museum has received numerous compliments for it's exhibits reflecting area historic topics. Are you a person with experience in graphics, photography, writing and editing who would enjoy working on exhibits? Help is always needed in this category.
2. Fundraising- If you have experience, with fundraising for a non-profit organization we could sure use your expertise. We always need to raise funds for operation of the Museum. We are now in the process of renovating the recently acquired Greenfield House as a new home for a Community Center for the area. We need lots of help in this area. Look for more details on about this on Facebook, print and social media, and on thIs web site.
3. Tombstone Tour and Town Tales- This is the PRIME event the Society conducts each year requiring many volunteers to help with all aspects of this event, such as role playing, manning booths, parking cars, setting up, guiding attendees, driving golf cars, etc. This is always fun. Can you help?
4.. Programs and Special Activities- We need help in setting up for our programs and
special activities conducted throughout the year. This may include preparation and serving coffee, refreshments, cookies, setting up the rooms, cleaning, etc.
5. Archiving-The Society has hundreds of antique documents, news paper articles and photographs which must be scanned and digitized for establishing a computerized file. If you enjoy computer technology this may be for you!
6. Homecoming- The Society always participates in this community wide event. Volunteers are always needed to set up, manning booths to sell items such as T-shirts, baskets, etc, and conducting open houses.
7 Handy Person-We need help painting, decorating, doing minor repairs, cleaning, setting up, hosting, etc. Maybe you can help us doing these tasks.
IF YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER PLEASE LET US KNOW BY EITHER ATTENDING ONE OF OUR MEETINGS, NOTIFYING ONE OF OUR MEMBERS OR CALLING 269-832-6734.