ATHENS AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Did you know that the Athens Area Historical Society is almost entirely run by volunteers? Over 100 people volunteer for all facets of the Society operations particularly on events such as the Tombstone Tour. The volunteer involvement reflects very well on the commitment of our members and the unique support from many volunteers. Volunteers involvement is usually limited in duration in accomplishing the task for which they have volunteered. It is NOT a requirement that volunteers be members of the Society. The society maintains a list of volunteers. Following are some examples of volunteer opportunities for which we need help.
1. Fundraising- If you have experiencing in fundraising in any capacity, such as raising fund for a community, agency, organization or major event, the Society really needs your help. We need to raise several thousand of dollars to renovate the inside of the building, built the courtyard, and obtain equipment and supplies for the museum. A Fund Raising Committee has been established and maybe you can join it.
2. Membership Drives-The Society has established a goal to at least double the number of members by the end of 2015. We are in urgent need of people who would like to be involved in conducting membership drives by using social media (Facebook, Tweeter), Blogs., e-mail, advertising and personal contact.
3. Building/Remodeling Experience- The Society has started planning for the renovation of the building interior. To do so a committee has been established. We need some people who have some experience in building-remodeling (plumbing, electrical, woodworking,etc.) to participate as member of the Building Renovation Committee.
4. Tombstone Tour- This is the PRIME event the Society conducts each year requiring many volunteers to help with all aspects of this event, such as role playing, manning booths, parking cars, setting up, guiding attendees, driving golf cars, etc. This is always fun. Can you help?
5. Programs and Special Activities- We need help in setting up for our programs and
special activities conducted throughout the year. This may include preparation and serving coffee, refreshments, cookies, setting up the rooms, cleaning, etc.
6. Setting up Displays - Once the interior of the building renovations completed we will need much help in organizing and setting up all the displays.
7. Archiving The Society has hundreds of antique documents, news paper articles and photographs which must be scanned and digitized for establishing a computerized file. If you enjoy computer technology this may be for you!
8 .Homecoming- The Society always participates in this community wide event. Volunteers are always needed to set up, manning booths to sell items such as T-shirts, baskets, etc, and conducting open houses.
9 .Handy Person-We need help painting, decorating, doing minor repairs, cleaning, setting up, hosting, etc. Maybe you can help us doing these tasks.
10. Paver Sales- Completion of renovation of the building will required continued need to raise funds. This will include the sale of engraved pavers. Active paver sales participation will be needed. Are you a good sales person? We need you to help selling pavers.
To Volunteer Click here